Patchwork [0/1,V2] Fix KERNEL_ALT_IMAGETYPE deploy

login
register
mail settings
Submitter Yang Shi
Date July 16, 2014, 6:42 p.m.
Message ID <1405536132-31250-1-git-send-email-yang.shi@windriver.com>
Download mbox
Permalink /patch/75821/
State New
Headers show

Pull-request

git://git.yoctoproject.org/poky-contrib yshi/kernel_altimg_v2

Comments

Yang Shi - July 16, 2014, 6:42 p.m.
When trying to bootup qemuarma9 BSP with uImage, I ran into the below issues:

1. Need u-boot-mkimage-native depend.
kernel.bbclass just checks if KERNEL_IMAGETYPE is uImage, if it is the depend will be added. But, it doesn't check KERNEL_ALT_IMAGETYPE.
In the patch, the check for alt image is added.

2. UBOOT_LOADADDRESS is passed to uboot-mkimage in do_uboot_mkimage. But, this function just check if KERNEL_IMAGETYPE is uImage or not. It doesn't check KERNEL_ALT_IMAGETYPE.
The patch adds the check.

3. KERNEL_ALT_IMAGETYPE is not deployed at all, although it is built. So, we need install, deploy and package the atl image.

Changelog V1 -> V2:
Check if KERNEL_ALT_IMAGETYPE is empty or not. If KERNEL_ALT_IMAGETYPE is empty, just skip alt image install and deploy, otherwise it is failed to install/deploy
because KERNEL_ALT_OUTPUT doesn't point to a real kernel image file.

Yang


The following changes since commit 68824d9b8f6e290da078383316b3f4b732585f2b:

  u-boot-fw-utils: install config file (2014-06-25 13:51:49 +0100)

are available in the git repository at:

  git://git.yoctoproject.org/poky-contrib yshi/kernel_altimg_v2
  http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/poky-contrib/log/?h=yshi/kernel_altimg_v2

for you to fetch changes up to a4d3971a48d0fb490537d755a19740cb25ea5f4c:

  oe-core/kernel: Deploy KERNEL_ALT_IMAGETYPE and check it for uImage (2014-07-16 11:36:12 -0700)

----------------------------------------------------------------
Yang Shi (1):
      oe-core/kernel: Deploy KERNEL_ALT_IMAGETYPE and check it for uImage

 meta/classes/kernel.bbclass | 38 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++---
 1 file changed, 35 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-)
Yang Shi - Aug. 20, 2014, 9:25 p.m.
On 7/16/2014 11:42 AM, Yang Shi wrote:
> When trying to bootup qemuarma9 BSP with uImage, I ran into the below issues:

In some usecases, a BSP may need two kernel image types coexist, like 
zImage and uImage.

For example, qemuarm BSP could be run on arm-versatile-926 board too, 
but it needs uImage. However, qemu needs zImage.

Yang

>
> 1. Need u-boot-mkimage-native depend.
> kernel.bbclass just checks if KERNEL_IMAGETYPE is uImage, if it is the depend will be added. But, it doesn't check KERNEL_ALT_IMAGETYPE.
> In the patch, the check for alt image is added.
>
> 2. UBOOT_LOADADDRESS is passed to uboot-mkimage in do_uboot_mkimage. But, this function just check if KERNEL_IMAGETYPE is uImage or not. It doesn't check KERNEL_ALT_IMAGETYPE.
> The patch adds the check.
>
> 3. KERNEL_ALT_IMAGETYPE is not deployed at all, although it is built. So, we need install, deploy and package the atl image.
>
> Changelog V1 -> V2:
> Check if KERNEL_ALT_IMAGETYPE is empty or not. If KERNEL_ALT_IMAGETYPE is empty, just skip alt image install and deploy, otherwise it is failed to install/deploy
> because KERNEL_ALT_OUTPUT doesn't point to a real kernel image file.
>
> Yang
>
>
> The following changes since commit 68824d9b8f6e290da078383316b3f4b732585f2b:
>
>    u-boot-fw-utils: install config file (2014-06-25 13:51:49 +0100)
>
> are available in the git repository at:
>
>    git://git.yoctoproject.org/poky-contrib yshi/kernel_altimg_v2
>    http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/poky-contrib/log/?h=yshi/kernel_altimg_v2
>
> for you to fetch changes up to a4d3971a48d0fb490537d755a19740cb25ea5f4c:
>
>    oe-core/kernel: Deploy KERNEL_ALT_IMAGETYPE and check it for uImage (2014-07-16 11:36:12 -0700)
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------
> Yang Shi (1):
>        oe-core/kernel: Deploy KERNEL_ALT_IMAGETYPE and check it for uImage
>
>   meta/classes/kernel.bbclass | 38 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++---
>   1 file changed, 35 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-)
>
>
Bruce Ashfield - Aug. 21, 2014, 4:21 a.m.
On 2014-08-20, 5:25 PM, Yang Shi wrote:
> On 7/16/2014 11:42 AM, Yang Shi wrote:
>> When trying to bootup qemuarma9 BSP with uImage, I ran into the below
>> issues:
>
> In some usecases, a BSP may need two kernel image types coexist, like
> zImage and uImage.
>
> For example, qemuarm BSP could be run on arm-versatile-926 board too,
> but it needs uImage. However, qemu needs zImage.

The change looks ok to me .. it's not the first time I've run into the
same target needing two different image types to be booted on h/w vs
simulation.

I can always pull this into my next series if there are no objections
to it on the list.

Cheers,

Bruce

>
> Yang
>
>>
>> 1. Need u-boot-mkimage-native depend.
>> kernel.bbclass just checks if KERNEL_IMAGETYPE is uImage, if it is the
>> depend will be added. But, it doesn't check KERNEL_ALT_IMAGETYPE.
>> In the patch, the check for alt image is added.
>>
>> 2. UBOOT_LOADADDRESS is passed to uboot-mkimage in do_uboot_mkimage.
>> But, this function just check if KERNEL_IMAGETYPE is uImage or not. It
>> doesn't check KERNEL_ALT_IMAGETYPE.
>> The patch adds the check.
>>
>> 3. KERNEL_ALT_IMAGETYPE is not deployed at all, although it is built.
>> So, we need install, deploy and package the atl image.
>>
>> Changelog V1 -> V2:
>> Check if KERNEL_ALT_IMAGETYPE is empty or not. If KERNEL_ALT_IMAGETYPE
>> is empty, just skip alt image install and deploy, otherwise it is
>> failed to install/deploy
>> because KERNEL_ALT_OUTPUT doesn't point to a real kernel image file.
>>
>> Yang
>>
>>
>> The following changes since commit
>> 68824d9b8f6e290da078383316b3f4b732585f2b:
>>
>>    u-boot-fw-utils: install config file (2014-06-25 13:51:49 +0100)
>>
>> are available in the git repository at:
>>
>>    git://git.yoctoproject.org/poky-contrib yshi/kernel_altimg_v2
>>
>> http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/poky-contrib/log/?h=yshi/kernel_altimg_v2
>>
>>
>> for you to fetch changes up to a4d3971a48d0fb490537d755a19740cb25ea5f4c:
>>
>>    oe-core/kernel: Deploy KERNEL_ALT_IMAGETYPE and check it for uImage
>> (2014-07-16 11:36:12 -0700)
>>
>> ----------------------------------------------------------------
>> Yang Shi (1):
>>        oe-core/kernel: Deploy KERNEL_ALT_IMAGETYPE and check it for
>> uImage
>>
>>   meta/classes/kernel.bbclass | 38 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++---
>>   1 file changed, 35 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-)
>>
>>
>