Patchwork [0/7] run-postinsts refactoring

login
register
mail settings
Submitter Laurentiu Palcu
Date May 23, 2013, 1:15 p.m.
Message ID <cover.1369313581.git.laurentiu.palcu@intel.com>
Download mbox
Permalink /patch/50391/
State New
Headers show

Pull-request

git://git.yoctoproject.org/poky-contrib lpalcu/run_postinsts_refactor

Comments

Laurentiu Palcu - May 23, 2013, 1:15 p.m.
Hi all,

My work at #4484 revealed that the package managers deb/ipk/rpm handle removal
of PM meta-data (when the PM is not deployed) and the delayed postinstalls
execution in their own way. Currently we have:
 * run-postinsts (for deb/ipk) and rpm-postinsts (for rpm) for running the delayed
   postinstalls on target when the PM is not part of the image;
 * opkg removes the meta-data and some uneeded packages whilst deb/rpm remove
   only the meta-data;
 * both opkg and deb have no way of running the delayed postinstalls on target,
   if package-management is not part of IMAGE_FEATURES, because the meta-data
   was deleted (and it would have been useless anyway since the PM is not installed);

That being said, this patchset tries to create a more unified solution for all
PM backends.

rpm-postinsts recipe is replaced by run-postinsts but I'll keep it in oe-core
for a while (a couple of weeks maybe), just in case the current solution does not
satisfy the RPM users (I doubt it though).

I did tests with core-image-minimal using sysvinit/systemd and with/without delayed
postinstalls. The results are as expected.

Thanks,
Laurentiu

The following changes since commit f7b639e527a65f9ce77aef07651ac5ec1e094e52:

  rpm-postinsts.bb: enable postinst logging (2013-05-23 10:28:05 +0100)

are available in the git repository at:

  git://git.yoctoproject.org/poky-contrib lpalcu/run_postinsts_refactor
  http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit.cgi/poky-contrib/log/?h=lpalcu/run_postinsts_refactor

Laurentiu Palcu (7):
  systemd: add udev-utils dependency for udev-hwdb
  rootfs_*.bbclass: add some helper functions
  image.bbclass: remove unneeded files from the image
  core-image-minimal: do not remove packaging files in the rootfs
    postprocess
  run-postinsts: make it generic
  rootfs_rpm.bbclas: switch to using run-postinsts
  rpm: replace rpm-postinsts dependency with run-postinsts

 meta/classes/image.bbclass                         |   33 +++++++++++
 meta/classes/rootfs_deb.bbclass                    |   23 +++++++-
 meta/classes/rootfs_ipk.bbclass                    |   39 ++++++-------
 meta/classes/rootfs_rpm.bbclass                    |   25 ++++++++-
 meta/recipes-core/images/core-image-minimal.bb     |    2 -
 meta/recipes-core/systemd/systemd_199.bb           |    2 +
 .../dpkg/run-postinsts/run-postinsts               |   59 ++++++++++++--------
 .../dpkg/run-postinsts/run-postinsts.awk           |   30 ----------
 meta/recipes-devtools/dpkg/run-postinsts_1.0.bb    |    7 +--
 meta/recipes-devtools/rpm/rpm_5.4.9.bb             |    2 +-
 10 files changed, 135 insertions(+), 87 deletions(-)
 delete mode 100644 meta/recipes-devtools/dpkg/run-postinsts/run-postinsts.awk
Saul Wold - May 24, 2013, 3:38 a.m.
On 05/23/2013 06:15 AM, Laurentiu Palcu wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> My work at #4484 revealed that the package managers deb/ipk/rpm handle removal
> of PM meta-data (when the PM is not deployed) and the delayed postinstalls
> execution in their own way. Currently we have:
>   * run-postinsts (for deb/ipk) and rpm-postinsts (for rpm) for running the delayed
>     postinstalls on target when the PM is not part of the image;
>   * opkg removes the meta-data and some uneeded packages whilst deb/rpm remove
>     only the meta-data;
>   * both opkg and deb have no way of running the delayed postinstalls on target,
>     if package-management is not part of IMAGE_FEATURES, because the meta-data
>     was deleted (and it would have been useless anyway since the PM is not installed);
>
> That being said, this patchset tries to create a more unified solution for all
> PM backends.
>
> rpm-postinsts recipe is replaced by run-postinsts but I'll keep it in oe-core
> for a while (a couple of weeks maybe), just in case the current solution does not
> satisfy the RPM users (I doubt it though).
>
> I did tests with core-image-minimal using sysvinit/systemd and with/without delayed
> postinstalls. The results are as expected.
>
This seems to have a problem building on the auto builder, most of the 
failures are due to the following:

/usr/sbin/update-rc.d: /bin/sh: bad interpreter: No such file or directory

Details here:

> | log_check: Using /srv/home/pokybuild/yocto-autobuilder-new/yocto-slave/nightly-ppc/build/build/tmp/work/qemuppc-poky-linux/core-image-minimal-dev/1.0-r0/temp/log.do_rootfs.32640 as logfile
> | Logfile is clean
> | rpm -e --nodeps --root=/srv/home/pokybuild/yocto-autobuilder-new/yocto-slave/nightly-ppc/build/build/tmp/work/qemuppc-poky-linux/core-image-minimal-dev/1.0-r0/rootfs --dbpath=/var/lib/rpm update-rc.d base-passwd run-postinsts
> | /srv/home/pokybuild/yocto-autobuilder-new/yocto-slave/nightly-ppc/build/build/tmp/sysroots/x86_64-linux/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.67450: /usr/sbin/update-rc.d: /bin/sh: bad interpreter: No such file or directory
> | error: %postun(run-postinsts-1.0-r9.ppc603e) scriptlet failed, exit status 126
> | ERROR: Function failed: do_rootfs (see /srv/home/pokybuild/yocto-autobuilder-new/yocto-slave/nightly-ppc/build/build/tmp/work/qemuppc-poky-linux/core-image-minimal-dev/1.0-r0/temp/log.do_rootfs.32640 for further information)
> NOTE: recipe core-image-minimal-dev-1.0-r0: task do_rootfs: Failed
> ERROR: Task 71 (/srv/home/pokybuild/yocto-autobuilder-new/yocto-slave/nightly-ppc/bu

Sau!



> Thanks,
> Laurentiu
>
> The following changes since commit f7b639e527a65f9ce77aef07651ac5ec1e094e52:
>
>    rpm-postinsts.bb: enable postinst logging (2013-05-23 10:28:05 +0100)
>
> are available in the git repository at:
>
>    git://git.yoctoproject.org/poky-contrib lpalcu/run_postinsts_refactor
>    http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit.cgi/poky-contrib/log/?h=lpalcu/run_postinsts_refactor
>
> Laurentiu Palcu (7):
>    systemd: add udev-utils dependency for udev-hwdb
>    rootfs_*.bbclass: add some helper functions
>    image.bbclass: remove unneeded files from the image
>    core-image-minimal: do not remove packaging files in the rootfs
>      postprocess
>    run-postinsts: make it generic
>    rootfs_rpm.bbclas: switch to using run-postinsts
>    rpm: replace rpm-postinsts dependency with run-postinsts
>
>   meta/classes/image.bbclass                         |   33 +++++++++++
>   meta/classes/rootfs_deb.bbclass                    |   23 +++++++-
>   meta/classes/rootfs_ipk.bbclass                    |   39 ++++++-------
>   meta/classes/rootfs_rpm.bbclass                    |   25 ++++++++-
>   meta/recipes-core/images/core-image-minimal.bb     |    2 -
>   meta/recipes-core/systemd/systemd_199.bb           |    2 +
>   .../dpkg/run-postinsts/run-postinsts               |   59 ++++++++++++--------
>   .../dpkg/run-postinsts/run-postinsts.awk           |   30 ----------
>   meta/recipes-devtools/dpkg/run-postinsts_1.0.bb    |    7 +--
>   meta/recipes-devtools/rpm/rpm_5.4.9.bb             |    2 +-
>   10 files changed, 135 insertions(+), 87 deletions(-)
>   delete mode 100644 meta/recipes-devtools/dpkg/run-postinsts/run-postinsts.awk
>
Laurentiu Palcu - May 24, 2013, 10:35 a.m.
On 05/24/2013 06:38 AM, Saul Wold wrote:
> On 05/23/2013 06:15 AM, Laurentiu Palcu wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> My work at #4484 revealed that the package managers deb/ipk/rpm handle removal
>> of PM meta-data (when the PM is not deployed) and the delayed postinstalls
>> execution in their own way. Currently we have:
>>   * run-postinsts (for deb/ipk) and rpm-postinsts (for rpm) for running the delayed
>>     postinstalls on target when the PM is not part of the image;
>>   * opkg removes the meta-data and some uneeded packages whilst deb/rpm remove
>>     only the meta-data;
>>   * both opkg and deb have no way of running the delayed postinstalls on target,
>>     if package-management is not part of IMAGE_FEATURES, because the meta-data
>>     was deleted (and it would have been useless anyway since the PM is not installed);
>>
>> That being said, this patchset tries to create a more unified solution for all
>> PM backends.
>>
>> rpm-postinsts recipe is replaced by run-postinsts but I'll keep it in oe-core
>> for a while (a couple of weeks maybe), just in case the current solution does not
>> satisfy the RPM users (I doubt it though).
>>
>> I did tests with core-image-minimal using sysvinit/systemd and with/without delayed
>> postinstalls. The results are as expected.
>>
> This seems to have a problem building on the auto builder, most of the 
> failures are due to the following:
> 
> /usr/sbin/update-rc.d: /bin/sh: bad interpreter: No such file or directory
I gave it a run on our local AB and saw no issues. However, from the log
you sent, it appears to be a problem in run-postinsts postrm scriptlet
when it's being removed from the image at do_rootfs time. The
update-rc.d in the native sysroot is called, which uses /bin/sh.

I'm pretty sure that you'll get the same failure, without my patches, if
you set AB to create ipk images (because the code I made generic for all
backends was taken from the current rootfs_ipk.bbclass). Currently, if
I'm not mistaken, the AB images default to using RPM as the backend.

This is my first hunch... since it works an a local AB we have here,
with Ubuntu server (/bin/sh -> dash).

Thanks,
Laurentiu

> 
> Details here:
> 
>> | log_check: Using /srv/home/pokybuild/yocto-autobuilder-new/yocto-slave/nightly-ppc/build/build/tmp/work/qemuppc-poky-linux/core-image-minimal-dev/1.0-r0/temp/log.do_rootfs.32640 as logfile
>> | Logfile is clean
>> | rpm -e --nodeps --root=/srv/home/pokybuild/yocto-autobuilder-new/yocto-slave/nightly-ppc/build/build/tmp/work/qemuppc-poky-linux/core-image-minimal-dev/1.0-r0/rootfs --dbpath=/var/lib/rpm update-rc.d base-passwd run-postinsts
>> | /srv/home/pokybuild/yocto-autobuilder-new/yocto-slave/nightly-ppc/build/build/tmp/sysroots/x86_64-linux/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.67450: /usr/sbin/update-rc.d: /bin/sh: bad interpreter: No such file or directory
>> | error: %postun(run-postinsts-1.0-r9.ppc603e) scriptlet failed, exit status 126
>> | ERROR: Function failed: do_rootfs (see /srv/home/pokybuild/yocto-autobuilder-new/yocto-slave/nightly-ppc/build/build/tmp/work/qemuppc-poky-linux/core-image-minimal-dev/1.0-r0/temp/log.do_rootfs.32640 for further information)
>> NOTE: recipe core-image-minimal-dev-1.0-r0: task do_rootfs: Failed
>> ERROR: Task 71 (/srv/home/pokybuild/yocto-autobuilder-new/yocto-slave/nightly-ppc/bu
> 
> Sau!
> 
> 
> 
>> Thanks,
>> Laurentiu
>>
>> The following changes since commit f7b639e527a65f9ce77aef07651ac5ec1e094e52:
>>
>>    rpm-postinsts.bb: enable postinst logging (2013-05-23 10:28:05 +0100)
>>
>> are available in the git repository at:
>>
>>    git://git.yoctoproject.org/poky-contrib lpalcu/run_postinsts_refactor
>>    http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit.cgi/poky-contrib/log/?h=lpalcu/run_postinsts_refactor
>>
>> Laurentiu Palcu (7):
>>    systemd: add udev-utils dependency for udev-hwdb
>>    rootfs_*.bbclass: add some helper functions
>>    image.bbclass: remove unneeded files from the image
>>    core-image-minimal: do not remove packaging files in the rootfs
>>      postprocess
>>    run-postinsts: make it generic
>>    rootfs_rpm.bbclas: switch to using run-postinsts
>>    rpm: replace rpm-postinsts dependency with run-postinsts
>>
>>   meta/classes/image.bbclass                         |   33 +++++++++++
>>   meta/classes/rootfs_deb.bbclass                    |   23 +++++++-
>>   meta/classes/rootfs_ipk.bbclass                    |   39 ++++++-------
>>   meta/classes/rootfs_rpm.bbclass                    |   25 ++++++++-
>>   meta/recipes-core/images/core-image-minimal.bb     |    2 -
>>   meta/recipes-core/systemd/systemd_199.bb           |    2 +
>>   .../dpkg/run-postinsts/run-postinsts               |   59 ++++++++++++--------
>>   .../dpkg/run-postinsts/run-postinsts.awk           |   30 ----------
>>   meta/recipes-devtools/dpkg/run-postinsts_1.0.bb    |    7 +--
>>   meta/recipes-devtools/rpm/rpm_5.4.9.bb             |    2 +-
>>   10 files changed, 135 insertions(+), 87 deletions(-)
>>   delete mode 100644 meta/recipes-devtools/dpkg/run-postinsts/run-postinsts.awk
>>