Patchwork [0/1] kernel-yocto: export GUILT_BASE

login
register
mail settings
Submitter Bruce Ashfield
Date May 8, 2012, 7:23 p.m.
Message ID <cover.1336504721.git.bruce.ashfield@windriver.com>
Download mbox
Permalink /patch/27309/
State New
Headers show

Pull-request

git://git.pokylinux.org/poky-contrib zedd/kernel

Comments

Bruce Ashfield - May 8, 2012, 7:23 p.m.
Richard/Saul,

As Frans Meulenbroeks noted this morning, guilt wasn't functional
in the devshell. The fix was simple enough, and by ensuring that
GUILT_BASE is exported, it works without any extra steps now.

I wasn't sure if there a better way to call 'up' to the base
method, so I repeated the call to oe_terminal in the do_devshell()
in kernel-yocto.bbclass.

If there's another approach, let me know and I'll respin the patch.

Cheers,

Bruce

The following changes since commit b1867950831ab6edb00b819f4cde81d40007f22e:
  Bruce Ashfield (1):
        meta-yocto/linux-yocto-3.0: update branch mappings for new tools

are available in the git repository at:

  git://git.pokylinux.org/poky-contrib zedd/kernel
  http://git.pokylinux.org/cgit.cgi/poky-contrib/log/?h=zedd/kernel

Bruce Ashfield (1):
  kernel-yocto: export GUILT_BASE

 meta/classes/kernel-yocto.bbclass |    6 ++++++
 1 files changed, 6 insertions(+), 0 deletions(-)
Richard Purdie - May 9, 2012, 6:51 a.m.
On Tue, 2012-05-08 at 15:23 -0400, Bruce Ashfield wrote:
> Richard/Saul,
> 
> As Frans Meulenbroeks noted this morning, guilt wasn't functional
> in the devshell. The fix was simple enough, and by ensuring that
> GUILT_BASE is exported, it works without any extra steps now.
> 
> I wasn't sure if there a better way to call 'up' to the base
> method, so I repeated the call to oe_terminal in the do_devshell()
> in kernel-yocto.bbclass.
> 
> If there's another approach, let me know and I'll respin the patch.

Can't you just set:

GUILT_BASE = "meta"

?

Cheers,

Richard
Bruce Ashfield - May 9, 2012, 12:42 p.m.
On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 2:51 AM, Richard Purdie
<richard.purdie@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-05-08 at 15:23 -0400, Bruce Ashfield wrote:
>> Richard/Saul,
>>
>> As Frans Meulenbroeks noted this morning, guilt wasn't functional
>> in the devshell. The fix was simple enough, and by ensuring that
>> GUILT_BASE is exported, it works without any extra steps now.
>>
>> I wasn't sure if there a better way to call 'up' to the base
>> method, so I repeated the call to oe_terminal in the do_devshell()
>> in kernel-yocto.bbclass.
>>
>> If there's another approach, let me know and I'll respin the patch.
>
> Can't you just set:
>
> GUILT_BASE = "meta"

Will that export to the subshell ? I didn't try it .. since I didn't
think it would.
I'll give that a go here :)

Bruce

>
> ?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Richard
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Openembedded-core mailing list
> Openembedded-core@lists.openembedded.org
> http://lists.linuxtogo.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/openembedded-core
Bruce Ashfield - May 9, 2012, 1:08 p.m.
On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 8:42 AM, Bruce Ashfield <bruce.ashfield@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 2:51 AM, Richard Purdie
> <richard.purdie@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
>> On Tue, 2012-05-08 at 15:23 -0400, Bruce Ashfield wrote:
>>> Richard/Saul,
>>>
>>> As Frans Meulenbroeks noted this morning, guilt wasn't functional
>>> in the devshell. The fix was simple enough, and by ensuring that
>>> GUILT_BASE is exported, it works without any extra steps now.
>>>
>>> I wasn't sure if there a better way to call 'up' to the base
>>> method, so I repeated the call to oe_terminal in the do_devshell()
>>> in kernel-yocto.bbclass.
>>>
>>> If there's another approach, let me know and I'll respin the patch.
>>
>> Can't you just set:
>>
>> GUILT_BASE = "meta"
>
> Will that export to the subshell ? I didn't try it .. since I didn't
> think it would.
> I'll give that a go here :)

With just that set in kernel-yocto.bbclass, and I launch devshell, I get this:

% guilt applied
Patches directory doesn't exist, try guilt-init

So unless I misunderstood what you are suggesting, I still need that explicit
export.

Cheers,

Bruce


>
> Bruce
>
>>
>> ?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Richard
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Openembedded-core mailing list
>> Openembedded-core@lists.openembedded.org
>> http://lists.linuxtogo.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/openembedded-core
>
>
>
> --
> "Thou shalt not follow the NULL pointer, for chaos and madness await
> thee at its end"
Richard Purdie - May 9, 2012, 8:04 p.m.
On Wed, 2012-05-09 at 09:08 -0400, Bruce Ashfield wrote:
> On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 8:42 AM, Bruce Ashfield <bruce.ashfield@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 2:51 AM, Richard Purdie
> > <richard.purdie@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> >> On Tue, 2012-05-08 at 15:23 -0400, Bruce Ashfield wrote:
> >>> Richard/Saul,
> >>>
> >>> As Frans Meulenbroeks noted this morning, guilt wasn't functional
> >>> in the devshell. The fix was simple enough, and by ensuring that
> >>> GUILT_BASE is exported, it works without any extra steps now.
> >>>
> >>> I wasn't sure if there a better way to call 'up' to the base
> >>> method, so I repeated the call to oe_terminal in the do_devshell()
> >>> in kernel-yocto.bbclass.
> >>>
> >>> If there's another approach, let me know and I'll respin the patch.
> >>
> >> Can't you just set:
> >>
> >> GUILT_BASE = "meta"
> >
> > Will that export to the subshell ? I didn't try it .. since I didn't
> > think it would.
> > I'll give that a go here :)
> 
> With just that set in kernel-yocto.bbclass, and I launch devshell, I get this:
> 
> % guilt applied
> Patches directory doesn't exist, try guilt-init
> 
> So unless I misunderstood what you are suggesting, I still need that explicit
> export.

Sorry, let me be more clear. I meant does:

OE_TERMINAL_EXPORTS += "GUILT_BASE"
GUILT_BASE = "meta"

work?

I'm not sure we need everything in the original patch...

Cheers,

Richard
Bruce Ashfield - May 9, 2012, 8:14 p.m.
On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 4:04 PM, Richard Purdie
<richard.purdie@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-05-09 at 09:08 -0400, Bruce Ashfield wrote:
>> On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 8:42 AM, Bruce Ashfield <bruce.ashfield@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 2:51 AM, Richard Purdie
>> > <richard.purdie@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
>> >> On Tue, 2012-05-08 at 15:23 -0400, Bruce Ashfield wrote:
>> >>> Richard/Saul,
>> >>>
>> >>> As Frans Meulenbroeks noted this morning, guilt wasn't functional
>> >>> in the devshell. The fix was simple enough, and by ensuring that
>> >>> GUILT_BASE is exported, it works without any extra steps now.
>> >>>
>> >>> I wasn't sure if there a better way to call 'up' to the base
>> >>> method, so I repeated the call to oe_terminal in the do_devshell()
>> >>> in kernel-yocto.bbclass.
>> >>>
>> >>> If there's another approach, let me know and I'll respin the patch.
>> >>
>> >> Can't you just set:
>> >>
>> >> GUILT_BASE = "meta"
>> >
>> > Will that export to the subshell ? I didn't try it .. since I didn't
>> > think it would.
>> > I'll give that a go here :)
>>
>> With just that set in kernel-yocto.bbclass, and I launch devshell, I get this:
>>
>> % guilt applied
>> Patches directory doesn't exist, try guilt-init
>>
>> So unless I misunderstood what you are suggesting, I still need that explicit
>> export.
>
> Sorry, let me be more clear. I meant does:
>
> OE_TERMINAL_EXPORTS += "GUILT_BASE"
> GUILT_BASE = "meta"

Aha. Yes. That does work, since the setVar does that same thing :)

I can drop my devshell override and it works. I'll update my patch and push it
back to the branch in the pull request.

Bruce

>
> work?
>
> I'm not sure we need everything in the original patch...
>
> Cheers,
>
> Richard
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Openembedded-core mailing list
> Openembedded-core@lists.openembedded.org
> http://lists.linuxtogo.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/openembedded-core